As parents, we eagerly await the milestone of introducing our little ones to solids so you can enjoy the sounds of them slurping, sucking and “mmmmmm-ing” your homemade foods. Although many parents start with purees, baby led weaning has become much more mainstream.
Baby led weaning is a feeding method that encourages babies to take charge of their own eating experience! Instead of relying on purees, which could lead to texture aversion down the line, babies are introduced to solid foods in their natural form, allowing them to explore textures, tastes and self-feeding (either with their fingers or a spoon) from the very beginning.
There are several benefits to baby led weaning:
- Developmental Milestones: their first crawl, their first steps, their first words are all huge for a parent, but what about the first time they feed themselves? Baby led weaning promotes the development of fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination and self-feeding abilities. By grasping and manipulating foods, babies refine their motor skills, fostering independence and self-confidence.
- Building an Adventurous Palate: baby led weaning encourages the exploration of diverse flavors and textures right from the start. By offering a wide range of whole foods, babies can develop a preference for nutrient-rich ingredients and embrace a more varied and adventurous palate.
- Parent-Child Bond: baby led weaning involves shared mealtimes where the focus is on family and togetherness. Eating together promotes bonding and social skills, as babies observe and imitate their parents and siblings.
Now that you’re hooked, here’s what you can do to ensure a successful weaning experience for your toddler:
- Safety First: ensure a safe eating environment by supervising your baby during mealtimes, offering appropriate foods, and avoiding potential choking hazards.
- Presentation: introduce a variety of colorful and nutritious foods in their natural form, making them visually appealing to your baby. Cut foods into manageable shapes and sizes to promote easy gripping.
- Encourage Curiosity: let your baby touch, taste, and explore foods at their own pace. Avoid rushing or interfering with their feeding process, as baby led weaning is all about self-discovery and developing a positive relationship with food.
Baby led weaning offers a unique approach to introducing solids, empowering babies to discover the world of food on their terms. By embracing this method, we have the ability to witness our little ones thriving in their developmental milestones, developing a diverse palate, and building a healthy relationship with food. Remember, each baby is unique, so trust your instincts and enjoy this exciting journey together.
Globowl is here to help with our textured food appropriate for babies as early as six-months-old!